From: Yo Funky <zen(at)freedbms(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2004-09-13 19:58:21
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

If someone can, please repond to this post on LWN, from here:
http://lwn.net/Articles/101458/

is this mini thread, which, if it is even possible, could use someone
who knows how to respond suitably:

Sybase releases 'first free production database for Linux' (ZDNet UK)
(Posted Sep 9, 2004 20:15 UTC (Thu) by emesvtsedek) (Post reply)

The assertion that this is the first free production database for Linux
is simply untrue. SAP DB, now Max DB is in fact the first database used
in actual production in core business systems that is also freely
available. It is also in open source under the GPL.

Sybase releases 'first free production database for Linux' (ZDNet UK)
(Posted Sep 9, 2004 21:24 UTC (Thu) by zenaan) (Post reply)

If you believe that PostgreSQL, even MySQL, is/are not used in "core
production systems", you are either mistaken/ uninformed, or simply
lying. I suggest you do some research and stop spreading this FUD. It
gets tiring to hear it.

Sybase releases 'first free production database for Linux' (ZDNet UK)
(Posted Sep 13, 2004 13:23 UTC (Mon) by emesvtsedek) (Post reply)

Please allow me to clarify my definition, and ask you to
reconfirm your comment:

By core 'business', not core 'production' systems I am
referring to systems in a business which relate to
financial or other crucial operational aspects of
the business. This traditionally has excluded web
backends and other content management concerns.
Can you identify a comparable ERP or accounting
system which depends on Postgresql or MySQL
in a manner similar to the relationship between
SAP and SAP DB? I would be very grateful to know
of such examples.

--
Homepage: http://www.soulsound.net/
Please respect the confidentiality of this email as sensibly warranted.

  • Re: at 2004-09-14 17:18:34 from Josh Berkus