Re: authentication

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: tim hall <tech(at)glastonburymusic(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: PostGreSQL <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: authentication
Date: 2004-08-24 06:58:16
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 03:15, tim hall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using PostgreSQL 7.4.3 on i386-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC
> i386-linux-gcc (GCC) 3.3.4 (Debian 1:3.3.4-3).
>
> I'm fine with most things except I simply don't understand how authentication
> works - I have RTFM'd and still don't get it. I have no trouble connecting
> with the Postmaster on my local machine via command-line psql, but I'm not
> experiencing the same joy with Python or PgAccess, both return similar errors
> if I specify the Host as 'localhost':

host=localhost uses TCP/IP. This is not the same as your local setup,
where host=<empty string>, which uses a Unix socket. If you specify
host=<empty string> to pgaccess, it should work like your local
connection and use a Unix socket (so long as the client is on the same
machine as the postmaster). As Tom pointed out, if you use a TCP/IP
connection, you need an ident server running on the client's machine to
support IDENT authentication.

By the way, you should not use IDENT authentication between machines
unless you fully trust the administration of the client machines; faking
ident responses is quite easy to do.

--
Oliver Elphick olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver