Re: Closing ResultSet and Statements

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Antony Paul <antonypaul24(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc <pgsql-hdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Closing ResultSet and Statements
Date: 2004-08-23 14:22:01
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Most of these questions have nothing to do with pg, but jdbc in general.

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 04:24, Antony Paul wrote:
> Hi all,
> (Sorry if repost. I posted it some days ago but couldn't found on the list)
> 1. Is it necessary to close all ResultSet and Statements in PostgreSQL.
It is generally very good form to close them, however if you close the
statement, the result set will be closed, as per the jdbc spec.
> 2. How to know that a ResultSet is open ?. Any views to query this
> information?.
not really, you either get null from the Statement.execute, or an open
result set
> 3. Do closing a Statement closes the ResultSet ?.
yes, as per spec
> 4. I saw an option of autocommit = true in the postgresql.conf file. What
> is its use.
to set autocommit to false, but I would not expect the driver to
function well, I seriously doubt if anyone has tested this thoroughly.

> What is the default behaviour if it is commented.
if it is commented that is the default

> If I set this
> to true do I have commit on all connections obtained without using a
> connection pool ?.
If this is true you do not have to commit anything. The way to do this
in jdbc is to use Connection.setAutoCommt(false|true);

--
Dave Cramer
519 939 0336