Problems importing data

From: Devin Whalen <devin(at)synapticvision(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problems importing data
Date: 2004-08-20 15:17:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hey,

I am exporting data from one database and importing into another
database. I dump the data from one database like so:

pg_dump dbname -R -a -f exportFile.sql

I then import the data using:
psql import_db -f exportFile.sql 1>>import_sql 2>>import_errorlog

However, when I do the import my import_errorlog gets filled with these
errors:

This is the big one. It seems to happen thousands and thousands of
times!!
psql:exportFile.sql:196563: invalid command \N
I don't know why it keeps happening!

These two are similar and I think...correct me if I am wrong...is caused
because there is a \r or a \t in a data field (probably a text field)
and this is confusing psql. But how do I get around this?? Do a search
and replace on \r and \t?? There must be a better way?
psql:exportFile.sql:196563: \r: extra argument "(416)" ignored
psql:exportFile.sql:203889: \t: extra argument "TNSA:" ignored

This is part of a sample data line where the above error occurs:
\N please ask for Frank Junior fr confirmation \r\n\r (416)
743-7378 \N \N s

This is another one. I think it happens when a table has no info in it
but shouldn't psql be able to handle this??
psql:exportFile.sql:97720: invalid command \.

This is sample data for the above error.
COPY getnext (client) FROM stdin;
\.

One way around these errors *I guess*, is to export all the data as
inserts with column names...but this takes forever because I have a lot
of data. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Later

--
Devin Whalen
Programmer