Left Outer Join Syntax

From: Steve Tucknott <steve(at)retsol(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: PostGreSQL <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Left Outer Join Syntax
Date: 2004-08-14 07:33:37
Lists: pgsql-novice

What is the correct syntax for the following.
I have table A joined to table B and C. I also have table A left outer
joined to tables D and E
and in turn D is joined to F

SELECT A.*,B.*,C.*,D.*,E.*,F.*
FROM A
LEFT OUTER JOIN D
ON A.colD = D.colA
LEFT OUTER JOIN E
ON A.colE = E.colA,
B,
WHERE A.col1 = ?
AND A.colB = B.colA
AND A.colC = C.colA

(I know I can move the B and C table joins and make them explicit joins
off A)

How do I include the join of table F to table D where F.colD = D.colF in
the case where 1) F is a LEFT OUTER and 2) where F is plain (INNER?)
join

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Steve Tucknott