Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Dan Langille <dan(at)langille(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-13 15:10:35
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 15:29, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> We are already planning to mention server-side java in the release
> announcement. That isn't integrated either, but I think we should
> mention it also.
>
> In fact I want to write a documentation section talking about add-ons,
> why the exist (are not integrated), and how to get them.

It is important to get across to the commercial world that add-ons can
be equally as worthy as the core product. We don't use a commercial
model for software development, but it's the commercial model that
suggests that add-ons are less important. I suppose they imagine that
an add-on product is somehow less reliable; but actually it is one of
the core developers who has produced this add-on and it is as open to
review as any other part of Pg.

Oliver Elphick