Re: Sending errors from psql to error file

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: devin(at)synapticvision(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sending errors from psql to error file
Date: 2004-08-12 14:50:34
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 15:20, Devin Whalen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to migrate a client from one database to another. Basically
> we designed a web application for them using Postgresql but we have made
> many changes to the design of our application since version 1. Now they
> want to upgrade. So basically I have to pg_dump their current data and
> then import it into our new schema. Now, of course I realize that there
> are going to be errors. But they have a lot and I mean a lot of data.
> I don't want to have to sit there and watch the import go by, I want to
> run a command and then look in a file for any errors after the import is
> complete. I tried this command but it didn't work:
> gunzip -c cli_postDataInserts.sql.gz | psql cli_post -U system | grep
> "ERROR:*" > import_errors
>
> Any help is appreciated.

1. "didn't work" is not much help

2. Use the --echo-queries and -f options to psql and capture all the
output; a bare error line won't tell you much about what happened nor
where it happened - you need to see what query was running. The -f will
let psql report which line in the input.

zcat cli_postDataInserts.sql.gz |
psql -d cli_post -U system --echo-queries -f - >trace.file 2>&1

Oliver Elphick