Re: Tables cannot have INSTEAD OF triggers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Aliouii Ali <aliouii(dot)ali(at)aol(dot)fr>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tables cannot have INSTEAD OF triggers
Date: 2015-04-01 17:29:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2015-04-01 13:15:26 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> If you have such a trigger, it's impossible to insert any rows, which
>> means the table doesn't need storage, which means it may as well be a
>> view, no? So this still seems to me like a wart not a useful feature.
>> I think it would create confusion because a table with such a trigger
>> would act so much unlike other tables.

> For one you can't easily add partitions to a view (and
> constraint_exclusion = partition IIRC doesn't work if you use UNION ALL),
> for another there's WHEN for triggers that should allow dealing with
> that.

WHEN won't help; if there are any INSTEAD OF triggers, no insert will
happen, whether the triggers actually fire or not.

As for partitioning, you could do this:

create table parent(...);
create table child(...) inherits(parent); -- repeat as needed
create view v as select * from parent;
attach INSTEAD OF triggers to v

Now the application deals only with v, and thinks that's the real
table.