Re: Significant spaces

From: mike g <mike(at)thegodshalls(dot)com>
To: Steve Tucknott <steve(at)retsol(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: PostGre <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Significant spaces
Date: 2004-07-31 04:12:40
Lists: pgsql-novice

The char data type will automatically pad unused positions with space so
it stays fixed at 250.

Varchar will automatically trim any unused positions.

I assume in your code somewhere you are doing a CAST(char column as
varchar). You can enclose this in a TRIM to remove whitespace at
beginning and end. TRIM(CAST(char column as varchar))

HTH