Re: pg_autovacuum integration attempt #2

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_autovacuum integration attempt #2
Date: 2004-07-17 05:48:47
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 17:13, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > A nitpick on that parameter name: There is not reason to abbreviate
> > "autovacuum": there is enough space. And the "_enabled" is redundant.
>
> Agreed. Nitpicks are important too because it makes us so beautiful. :-)

:-) I'll make that change.

> > What I am missing at least is what you really mean by "the required GUC
> > variables are also set". GUC variables are always set to something (at
> > least after the initialization phase, but you don't get to do anything
> > with GUC before the initialization, obviously).
>
> He means he has to have the stats collector enabled along with
> autovacuum, and he doesn't have a way to effectively test that stats are
> enabled when enabling autovacuum because the ordering of postgresql.conf
> variable loads isn't predefined.

Exactly. However, I can work around the GUC ordering issue just by
having the postmaster check all the required variables before launching
autovac. What I wanted to do was have GUC prevent autovacuum = true
when the stats collector is not enabled, reguardless of what is in
postgresql.conf.