Re: User Quota Implementation

From: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jharris(at)tvi(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: User Quota Implementation
Date: 2004-07-09 14:14:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 09:29, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Christopher Kings-Lynne (chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au) wrote:
> > >Personally, I would love to see this in PostgreSQL. It'd be great if it
> > >could get into 7.5. An issue I see with that is that (similar to
> > >Oracle...) I think people would want to be able to specify
> > >per-tablespace quotas. Perhaps that wouldn't be too hard to add?
> >
> > 7.5 is already closed for new features I believe...
>
> Quotas is part of a sane tablespace implementation, right? O;)

I would think having would allow us to take advantage of all of the
various kernel level filesystem features without needing to implement
them directly within PostgreSQL (crypto, quotas, data mirror, etc.).

Simply setup a tablespace for a given user with permissions to allow
only that user to create new objects within it and make it the default
location) -- tie their schema to their tablespace? -- then set a kernel
level quota on their tablespace.

Or do we expect a PostgreSQL implementation to do more than that, to
only count active data by ignoring data pending a vacuum?