Re: initdb fails with invalid argument to shmat

From: mike g <mike(at)thegodshalls(dot)com>
To: Kevin Marth <kem1(at)peoplepc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb fails with invalid argument to shmat
Date: 2004-07-06 02:54:40
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi,

Did you see this earlier posting today. Maybe the scripts will help
make sure cygserver is properly called? I am not familiar with the need
to add Export Cygwin but if it worked for others....

hello mike,

thank your very much for your pointing me to the set-variable cygwin.
although i did "cygwin=server" in my script, i did too little. i missed
the export-statement to the set-variable.

for everybody who is interested in my functioning scripts (on
win-xp-home) i give it in here:

at first i do an initiation of my postgresql-db "pgini" and at the end i
call my script "db-stop" to clean memory of processes (especially
cygserver).

and after that i call my db with "db-start" every time i need it (i
don't use it as a service, i don't use it for production just for
programming), and at the end of my working with my db i call my
"db-stop" again to clean memory. afterwards i exit cygwin or restart my
db with "db-start".

now my scripts:

my "pgini":

#!/bin/sh
# the first very important set-variable
CYGWIN=server
export CYGWIN
# the second very important set-variable - to unset it worked for me
(then language-setting is C).
unset LANG
echo
# the third very important set-variable
PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:$PATH
export PATH
#echo "IPC-Daemon starten..."
echo
echo "cygserver-config starting..."
cygserver-config
echo "sygserver starten..."
cygserver &
ps -f
echo
echo "initdb starting..."
initdb -D /var/postgresql/data
ps -f
./db-stop

now "db-start":

#!/bin/sh
CYGWIN=server
export CYGWIN
PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:$PATH
export PATH
echo
echo "sygserver starting..."
cygserver &
ps -f
echo
echo "PostgreSQL starting..."
postmaster -i -D /var/postgresql/data &
ps -f

and finally "db-stop":

#!/bin/sh
echo
echo "PostgreSQL finishing..."
pg_ctl stop -w -D /var/postgresql/data -s -m smart
ps -f
echo
echo "cygserver finishing..."
kill $(ps -f | grep cygserver | awk '{print $2}')
ps -f

greetings and thanks to all
hans