Re: Recovery Features

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recovery Features
Date: 2004-07-05 23:22:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 23:40, Mike Mascari wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>

> > ...Nobody is shouting YES, so its a dodo...
>

> The point at which the above process becomes
> too complex (or less than obvious) for hand-recovery is precisely
> when unforeseen consequences of nixing a single transaction become
> too great.

Agreed. The potential for unforeseen consequences is just too high, and
although I'm fairly sure they would always be spotted during recovery
and cause an error - I think it is something that requires proof. And I
don't have that. So, lets leave that idea alone for 100 years.

> ... hand-recovery ...

hmmm...not sure I know what you mean.

It is very-very-close-to-impossible to edit the transaction logs
manually, unless some form of special-format editor were written for the
purpose.

Is it clear that the PITR features are completely different from
pg_dump? (Which would allow a manual edit and recover). The xlogs are
binary files that refer to all changes to all tables in a cluster
ordered by time, rather than by table.

Best regards, Simon Riggs