Adding VERSION to startup log output

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Adding VERSION to startup log output
Date: 2004-07-03 10:15:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The one question that gets asked the most on these lists AFAICS is:
**can you tell me what version you're running?**

...and we just had a case of confusing the version itself (which seems
to be a reasonably easy mistake to make).

This information is not displayed at startup, even at debug5. This info
is available in the file PG_VERSION and that it is accessible using
SQL...but that is not the same thing as bringing it to the attention of
anybody reading the log, or watching startup for the first time.

Would anybody object to adding an extra line at startup that shows the
version number of the database system?

Message suggestion:
Starting PostgreSQL <Version> database system

(Nothing cheesy, just informative and neutrally welcoming...)

Comments?

Best Regards, Simon Riggs