Re: Adding column comment to information_schema.columns

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Subject: Re: Adding column comment to information_schema.columns
Date: 2004-07-02 14:12:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 07:57, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> > > There are literally _hundreds_ of fields we could add to the
> > > information_schema. Either we add them all or we add none of them.
> >
> > Well, if we add them (and they would be very useful I reckon) should we
> > ensure there's an obvious PG naming thing happening?
> >
> > i.e. pg_column_comment
> >
> > or similar? Maybe not "pg_" but you know what I mean.
>
> IIRC we were recently told (in this thread) that the SQL standard tells
> to end local customisations with underscore, so it would be
> 'column_comment_'

Yup... but before we go to far I think anyone who is thinking of adding
a column should see if there is a comparable column in
oracle/db2/$ql$erver. The point of information_schema (at least one
point of it) is to help application writers to write code that works
across different database systems and I wouldn't be surprised if those
folks had already extended the information_schema in some way.

Robert Treat