Re: single user mode -P option is ignored

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: single user mode -P option is ignored
Date: 2018-12-19 16:59:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> some customer has PostgreSQL 9.5.5. He cannot to login to database due
> broken index
> When I use single mode against to this database I got a error
> start transaction
> could not open critical system index 2679

I can't reproduce this. Removing file 2679 (pg_index_indexrelid_index)
from an otherwise-OK database leads to

$ postgres --single busted
FATAL: could not open file "base/78215/2679": No such file or directory

as expected, but

$ postgres --single -P busted

PostgreSQL stand-alone backend 9.5.15
backend>

and all seems well, in particular I can successfully do

backend> reindex index pg_index_indexrelid_index;

and then things are back to normal.

So either this is something we fixed since 9.5.5, or your summary
of the problem is missing many critical details.