unixODBC drivers for PostgreSQL?

From: Jon Schewe <jpschewe(at)mtu(dot)net>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: unixODBC drivers for PostgreSQL?
Date: 2004-06-18 14:06:55
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I'm trying to get unixODBC and PostgreSQL to talk nice, but can't seem
to get it working. I've seen a few posts on the list of people trying
to do this as well. Have any of you gotten it to work?

I've got a SuSE 9.1 distribution of Linux. This contains PostgreSQL
7.4.2, unixODBC 2.2.8 and psqlODBC 07.03.0200.

The unixODBC drivers are installed in /usr/lib/unixODBC and the psqlODBC
drivers are installed in /usr/lib. I've tried both sets of drivers (as
you can see from the config file below) as well as various source
compiles. The psqlODBC driver doesn't seem to do much of anything, isql
just goes away eating CPU and there are no messages in the postgresql
logfile. When I use the unixODBC drivers isql also goes away eating
CPU, however I get the following in my postgresql logfile:
2004-06-16 11:10:04 LOG: unexpected EOF within message length word

I'm sure I'm authenticating because when I had the authentication setup
wrong earlier and would get a message about IDENT failed. So now this
seems to be a mismatch in the protocols being used between the ODBC
drivers and PostgreSQL. Does anyone have any ideas?

Configfile installed with :
odbcinst -i -s -n PostgreSQL -f postgreSQL.ini

/etc/unixODBC/odbcinst.ini is empty and there is nothing in
/tmp/sql.log, it's not even there.

--- postgreSQL.ini ---
[PostgreSQL]
Description = Postgres on workstation, accessed locally
Driver = /usr/lib/unixODBC/libodbcpsql.so.2
#Setup = /usr/lib/unixODBC/libodbcpsqlS.so.1
#Driver = /usr/lib/psqlodbc.so
#Driver =
/usr/src/packages/SOURCES/psqlodbc-07.03.0200/.libs/psqlodbc.so
#Driver =
/usr/src/packages/SOURCES/unixODBC-2.2.8/Drivers/PostgreSQL/.libs/libodbcpsql.so
#Trace = Yes
TraceFile = /tmp/sql.log
Database = richards
Servername = workstation