Re: A modest proposal vis hierarchical queries: MINUS in the column list

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mark Zellers <mark(dot)zellers(at)workday(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A modest proposal vis hierarchical queries: MINUS in the column list
Date: 2021-06-08 15:39:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 6/7/21 6:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Note that it's not like SQL hasn't heard of projections before.
>> You can always do "SELECT a, b, d FROM subquery-yielding-a-b-c-d".
>> So the proposed syntax would save a small amount of typing, but
>> it's not adding any real new functionality.

> True, but the problem happens when you have 250 fields and you want to
> skip 4 of them. Getting that right can be a pain.

I'm slightly skeptical of that argument, because if you have that
sort of query, you're most likely generating the query programmatically
anyway. Yeah, it'd be a pain to maintain such code by hand, but
I don't see it being much of a problem if the code is built by
a machine.

Note that I'm not saying the idea is useless. I'm just opining
that I'd rather wait for the SQL committee to do something in
this area.