Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Tablespaces

From: "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)qwest(dot)net>
To: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <zeugswettera(at)spardat(dot)at>, jearl(at)bullysports(dot)com, tswan(at)idigx(dot)com, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Greg Stark" <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "PostgreSQL Win32 port list" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Tablespaces
Date: 2004-06-11 21:41:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 11:29, Dann Corbit wrote:
> [...]

I think the more important part of Tom's point isn't that Windows in
general sucks (even though it does) but that PostgreSQL ON Windows is a
brand new thing, and if you're willing to put a multi-gig ERP system on
it and bet the company, you shouldn't be in a data center, because right
now it simply hasn't been tested enough.

Now, setting up a unix box with postgresql for production and becoming a
part of the windows testing effort in your spare time, until Windows
proves itself ready and worthy, that makes sense.

I'm no fan of microsoft or Bill Gates, for the reasons mentioned in
books like "The Microsoft Files". But my main objection to putting a
PostgreSQL on Windows server online right now would be the same one I
would have against putting a MS SQL server on Windows online right now,
neither one has ever been proven reliable. :-)