Re: win32 port getting popular

From: Greg Copeland <greg(at)copelandconsulting(dot)net>
To: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: win32 port getting popular
Date: 2004-05-27 19:10:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers-win32

To be fair, the win32 release of PostgreSQL has been mentioned many,
many times on /., pclinuxonline, and several other popular sites.
Especially on /., significant win32 interest has been peaked and good
questions have been asked an answered. Many people are trying to grow
beyond MySQL, or want to save on an Oracle license, and need win32
platform support. I'm simply offering that win32 exposure has been much
broader than may be generally realized. Once you guys pull the trigger
on an official win32 release of PostgreSQL, I'm wondering if the lists
will be overwhelmed for support requests. I sincerely think the mass
appeal for a win32 release of PostgreSQL has been significantly under
estimated.

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 10:36, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> The binary win32 port has been downloaded over 3000 times since May 6,
> which averages to over 1000/week (and steadily increasing). This is
> with no mention except for win32-hackers list and Bruce's win32 status
> page. This is of course in addition to users who have compiled the
> database from source.
>
> Type in 'win32 native port' or 'win32 status page' into google, and
> Bruce's win32 status page comes up first or second (notice no mention of
> Postgres in search criteria).
>
> With NT having a as of yet pretty sizable chunk of the low/mid range
> server market, this is a pretty big deal...I'm pretty excited! My
> personal experiences with it so far are extremely positive.
>
> Merlin

Greg Copeland, Owner
greg(at)copelandconsulting(dot)net
Copeland Computer Consulting