Re: Planner cost adjustments

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
To: Daniel Begin <jfd553(at)hotmail(dot)com>, 'Bill Moran' <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, 'Tomas Vondra' <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, 'Melvin Davidson' <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Planner cost adjustments
Date: 2015-06-05 13:20:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Daniel Begin <jfd553(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I can tweak values and restart Postgres without any hardship!

Many of the important performance-related settings (especially cost
factors) can be adjusted with the SET command to affect just the
one connection. This can make experimenting a lot easier.

> About seq_page_cost and random_page_cost, I am about to test
> different lower values as you and Thomas propose.

I have often been unable to get optimal plans without boosting the
value of cpu_tuple_cost (in addition to adjusting the page costs
and setting effective_cache_size). Generally 0.03 is enough,
although I have personally never seen problems with going up to
0.05, and that sometimes fixes a few plans that 0.03 misses.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com