Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-04-29 21:10:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 20:50, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Merlin Moncure wrote:
> > > we
> > >
> > > If I may humbly chime in here...there currently is no binary packing for
> > > the win32 port. Magnus is currently working on an installer/service
> > > manager (dubbed 'longer term' on the status page) that would be nice to
> > > see make it in before the feature freeze. Based on the current rate of
> > > development, finishing this and various other sundry issues (even
> > > allowing for corrections within the beta period) within a month involves
> > > a fair degree of optimism. In short, speaking strictly from a win32
> > > perspective, a June 1 date will probably be missed.
> >
> > Well, if Win32 doesn't complete by June 1, do we still do the feature
> > freeze? I don't want to be adding features after the freeze, that is
> > for sure. When we have done that in the past, it has caused problems
> > because some stuff gets in to make the system unstable, but other stuff
> > gets left out.
>
> That is something that should be discussed a couple of days before June
> 1st, when we have a clearer idea of just how far off Win32 will be ...
> right now, if Win32 is *that* far off the June 1st mark, I'd say
> definitely to a feature freeze, as much as I'd like to see the Win32
> features in ...

Completely agree - I've been working to that timescale since March.

This is probably the determining factor as to whether the release number
is 7.5 or 8.0?

What I would add is: if PITR and Win32 do make it into the release, I
would strongly urge for an extended beta period. It would not prove good
press if 100,000 new Windows users tripped over on various issues, nor
even 1 press-worthy user was unable to recover correctly.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs