Re: PITR Phase 1 - Code Overview (1)

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PITR Phase 1 - Code Overview (1)
Date: 2004-04-28 16:47:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 16:14, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Tuesday 27 April 2004 19:59 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > >
> > > Why isn't the archiver process integrated into the server?
> >
> > I think it is because the archiver process has to be started/stopped
> > independently of the server.
>
> When the server is not running there is nothing to archive, so I don't follow
> this argument.

The running server creates xlogs, which are still available for archive
even when the server is not running...

Overall, your point is taken, with many additional comments in my other
posts in reply to you.

I accept that this may be desirable in the future, for some simple
implementations. The pg_autovacuum evolution path is a good model - if
it works and the code is stable, bring it under the postmaster at a
later time.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs