Re: This leaves a bad taste in my mouth

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Jeff Self <jself(at)nngov(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: This leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Date: 2004-04-28 13:42:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 08:44, Jeff Self wrote:
> Just read an article on how Weather.com has been successful in using
> Apache, Linux, and Tomcat to run its website. Now they are looking to
> replace Oracle with MySQL. Hello? Being a former employee of Great
> Bridge, I think this is a slap in the face at PostgreSQL. Both Great
> Bridge and Weather.com were/are companies owned by Landmark
> Communications. Maybe some of the core developers need to try and show
> the benefits of PostgreSQL to Weather.com.
>
> By the way, the article is at
> http://www.computerworld.com/industrytopics/travel/story/0,10801,92583,00.html

I have a friend who works in another part of their it department and she
has been working with my$ql for a while now, mainly because it was
available for windows when she needed something to do some experimental
development on and it is mainly used as a file store system rather than
a true RDBMS. Given a quote like this from the article:

"Our Web site is big, and we get a huge number of hits, but we don't do
a lot of complicated stuff. It's not transactional, and users are
reading data, not submitting it, so we didn't use three quarters of what
WebSphere actually offered," says Badenell.

it just seem to re-enforce the idea that they are a java shop that likes
to control everything at the application level, which is
counter-inductive to wanting to use a RDBMS like PostgreSQL. (or Oracle
for that matter, I'd be surprised if they used anything terribly
advanced in it right now) Not saying that they wouldn't be better off
using PostgreSQL, but it seems like there would be culture issues
involved in making the sell.

Robert Treat