Re: Bringing PostgreSQL torwards the standard regarding

From: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Bringing PostgreSQL torwards the standard regarding
Date: 2004-04-25 15:11:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 5. If the identifier is lowercase only, convert it to uppercase only. I
> am assuming here that the authors of the client code chose an
> uppercase-folding database, so they should know what they are doing when
> accessing stuff from the standard offering.

You've just broken one of my databases.

In one project I quote nearly everything and do so in lower case only.
This was done to ensure portability between PostgreSQL, Oracle, etc. --
but with my preference of lower case names.

If someone copied this database with the wrong case folding option, it
would break a (reasonably) spec compliant application that is regularly
installed on environments where we have little to no control over the
database settings.

I think copied attributes need to be left alone. Train the PostgreSQL
utilities to always quote the identifiers instead.

If you want case to be folded, run an external utility to does a bunch
of ALTER ... RENAMEs.