Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions

From: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions
Date: 2004-04-23 18:46:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The difference is that a "better" admin tool is very subjective where as
> a buffer strategy is not... or maybe the difference is really that
> everyone thinks they are qualified to pick a "better" admin tool, but
> very few can really argue as to a better buffer strategy. While I think
> your criteria is pretty close to what I would use, I still couldn't pick
> which is the best between pgtcl/pgtclng/pgintcl or pypgsql/pygresql...
> and even I did I bet some people would have a problem with my choices.

If you have a hard time picking between those projects, imagine the
difficulties someone who has never used PostgreSQL has just tracking
down the options available to them.

We would not be removing any choices for the user. We're simply
supplying a list of suggested tools that they may have interest in.

Getting the user to download PostgreSQL and give it a shot without
becoming frustrated because the "basics" were not available (in an
obvious location) is the first step.

Step 2 is to inform the user that there are more alternatives available.
I see pgFoundary doing a good job of #2 -- but it is not going to help
with #1 (too much choice is as bad as none at all to a beginner).