Re: How to properly use the Executor interface?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kai Kratz <kai(dot)kratz(at)swarm64(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to properly use the Executor interface?
Date: 2018-11-05 19:42:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kai Kratz <kai(dot)kratz(at)swarm64(dot)com> writes:
> first time writing to the hackers list, so I hope this is the right place to ask. I recently joined Swarm64 and we are building a postgres extension with the fdw interface.

> I am trying to evaluate sql statements with ExecutorBeing, -Run, -End, -Finish calls during ExecForeignInsert.

This seems ... uh ... really bizarre. Why would you want an FDW to push
actions back into the executor? I'm having a hard time envisioning
use-cases that wouldn't be better handled by, say, updatable views.

Anyway, you might be better off to go through SPI rather than try to call
the executor directly. It's better documented and we try to avoid
breaking those APIs, whereas the core executor APIs change regularly.