Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: David Costa <geeks(at)dotgeek(dot)org>
Cc: markw(at)osdl(dot)org, "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Jacob Hanson <jacdx(at)jacobhanson(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Perpetuating the myth...annoying
Date: 2004-04-06 14:05:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 04:19, David Costa wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2004, at 1:02 AM, scott.marlowe wrote:
>

> > I think that if we are going to benchmark the two, and I'm all for it,
> > we
> > should benchmark them running something fairly standard, like the OSDL
> > tests. And MySQL should be using innodb tables for everything, since
> > postgresql pretty much always carries the load of running mvcc and
> > write
> > ahead logging and transactions for everything it does.
> >

> Let's do it ;)

One potential problem... I don't think that my$ql can actually handle
the osdl tests. On the bright side iirc the osdl folks switched to
studying postgresql instead of sapdb (aka max$ql) because they could not
get the performance they needed from sapdb, so you might be able to do a
comparison there. But this has always been a problem with benchmarking
my$ql with postgresql... any test complex enough to show off
postgresql's capabilities tends to cause my$ql to fall over... not
saying you shouldn't do it, just saying finding a good benchmark might
be tricky.

BTW David, I'm sure you've seen
http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3?page=1 right?

Robert Treat