Re: [HACKERS] float8 regression failure (HEAD, cygwin)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Adrian Maier <adrian(dot)maier(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] float8 regression failure (HEAD, cygwin)
Date: 2006-08-01 12:34:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Maybe we need to abandon trying to map float8 results exactly in the
> resultmap file, and just let pg_regress pick the best fit as we do with
> some other tests.

I thought about that too but it seems a very bad idea. small-is-zero is
distinctly "less correct" than the regular output, and I don't think we
want pg_regress to be blindly accepting it as OK on any platform.

Perhaps we could stick a version check into the resultmap lookup? It'd
likely have been painful on the shell script implementation but now that
the code is in C I think we have lots of flexibility. There's no need
to feel bound by the historical resultmap format.

However this is all premature unless we can verify that "cgywin's strtod()
complains about float underflow after version so-and-so". Do they
publish a detailed change log?