Re: Patch: Tie stats options to autovacuum in

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch: Tie stats options to autovacuum in
Date: 2006-10-03 01:10:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Oct 2, 2006, at 8:41 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> David E. Wheeler wrote:
>> On Sep 28, 2006, at 16:39, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>>
>>> +1. I was just at a client today that had run into this problem.
>>>
>>> Actually, I'm in favor of refusing to start if autovac is on but the
>>> proper stats settings aren't. I'd rather that then people ending up
>>> with
>>> bloated databases and crappy performance.
>>
>> I agree, but I figured that this was a start, at least.
>
> The problem with refusing to start is that autovacuum is sighup, so
> you
> might modify postgresql.conf and do a server restart, and then the
> server doesn't start. Are people OK with that?
>
> I did apply the postgresql.conf comment addition.

Hrm... how about if the options are incompatible on HUP we refuse to
pick up any new settings and complain loudly?

Perhaps it would be easier to just override stats_row_level if
autovac is on. Doesn't necessarily meet the least surprise test, but
it does protect newbies which I feel is more important in this case.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net