Re: Differences between postgres and mysql

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: mark(dot)cubitt(at)applegate(dot)co(dot)uk
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Differences between postgres and mysql
Date: 2004-02-18 14:12:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 06:50, Mark Cubitt wrote:
> the reason I ask is I have always used postgres at home and work, but my new
> web host only has mysql :(
>
> I want to know what sort of differences I will have in regards to
> programming php/perl webpages using the database.
>
> I current use sequences in postgres and understand this will be different in
> mysql, so can you tell me what the difference will be and if there are any
> other differences I should look out for.

There's a little voice telling me this is a troll, but in case not, take
a look at http://techdocs.postgresql.org/#convertfrom which has several
article on converting from mysql to postgresql... not exactly what
you're doing but might have some valuable info. You might also want to
look at http://openacs.org/philosophy/why-not-mysql.html, which is an
outdated comparison that breaks out several areas where mysql is not as
robust as postgresql. Otherwise I guess I would recommend you ask the
mysql community how they work around any missing postgresql features you
might need for your apps. Well, actually I would recommend finding a
new hosting company (http://techdocs.postgresql.org/hosting.php) but
barring that I think your going to have to turn to the mysql community
for information about their database.

Robert Treat