Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but...

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
Cc: Claudio Cicali <c(dot)cicali(at)mclink(dot)it>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but...
Date: 2004-02-12 13:08:52
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-odbc

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 00:47, Steve Crawford wrote:

> MySQL seems to have a weird self-serving interpretation of GPL and I
> don't trust them.

This is not only a problem with MySQL, IMO. I stopped using PDFLib for
a similar reason. Their license (Aladdin Public License) stated that
use was beyond the scope of the license, but their web site asked for a
fee for any "commercial use" and their interpretation seemed to include
many in-house uses.

I am in the process, among other things, of finalizing the business plan
for a consulting firm I will be starting based on open source
solutions. Our choice of products to support has a lot to do with these
sorts of issues. Needless to say, PostgreSQL gets our vote :-)

Part of the issue is avoiding litigation. If MySQL AB starts to run out
of funds, I don't want to see another fiaSCO emerge... If they are not
trustworthy, or seem to be pushing the limits of a license, then they
are not worth doing business with.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers