Re: probs with 7.3 -> 7.4 on debian

From: glenn <gdavy(at)tpg(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: probs with 7.3 -> 7.4 on debian
Date: 2004-01-15 00:48:09
Lists: pgsql-novice

outstanding - thanks, this is a big relief :-)

FYI - automatic upgrade still failed, but at least I could use the
db.out I made after downgrade.

Now if only I could connect through TCP.
local connect such as:
glenn(at)odin$:psql mydb
works fine

tcp connect such as
glenn(at)odin$:psql -h odin mydb
psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
Is the server running on host "odin" and accepting
TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
fails - tried IP addresses, and localhost etc.
ahh - check /etc/postgresql/postgresql.conf!
tcpip_socket = true
oh :-(
I read in list archives that this reveals much:

netstat -nlp|grep 5432
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 2235850
13581/postmaster /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432

But I think this is a good outcome? i.e. server _is_ served and
listening on port 5432?

pg_hba.conf is essentially the same as the way it was in 7.3 pre
upgrade, but with the IP6 changes now included.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?
Thanks
Glenn