Re: power failure....

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Allison <tom(at)tacocat(dot)net>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: power failure....
Date: 2007-12-01 03:48:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Allison <tom(at)tacocat(dot)net> writes:
> 2007-11-30 19:35:20 EST PANIC: could not locate a valid checkpoint
> record

Ugh :-(. pg_resetxlog should get you back into the database, but it's
anybody's guess whether and how badly the contents will be corrupted.
I would recommend trying a dump/reload and also doing any manual
consistency crosschecks you can think of.

> postgres version 8.2 sitting on a Reiser FS on RAID1....

Better take a second look at your disk hardware configuration. At least
in theory, this Can't Happen if your disk hardware is handling fsync
honestly.