Re: Users and session ids

From: "Keith C(dot) Perry" <netadmin(at)vcsn(dot)com>
To: C G <csgcsg39(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Users and session ids
Date: 2003-12-10 15:27:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Quoting C G <csgcsg39(at)hotmail(dot)com>:

> Dear All,
>
> I wonder if anyone can advise me with this problem.
>
> 1. A user logs into the database (through web, webservice, some other piece
> of software) - connect(user="joe",passwd="blogs")
> 2. We generate a random session key which will expire in 1 hour. Put this in
>
> table (user, SessKey, time).
> 3. Give key to user.
> 4. User wants to do something else, so passes us the session key.
> 5. How do we use this session key to log the user into the database, i.e.
> how do we get the username and passwd to enable:
> connect(user="joe",passwd="blogs").
>
> Many thanks
>
> Colin

Colin,

For the web, if you are running apache and mod_perl, take a look at the
PosgreSQL authentication modules on CPAN.org. In particular, anything that
deals with "cookie tracking" or authentication with cookies would be a start.

Of coures there are similar modules/methods for the other PG supported languages
as well.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications