Re: sqlsmith: ERROR: XX000: bogus varno: 2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: sqlsmith: ERROR: XX000: bogus varno: 2
Date: 2022-01-06 15:24:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Thanks for addressing that in the patch you posted. I guess fixing
> only expression_tree_walker/mutator() suffices for now, but curious to
> know if it was intentional that you decided not to touch the following
> sites:

> exprCollation(): it would perhaps make sense to return the collation
> assigned to the 1st element of listdatums/lowerdatums/upperdatums,
> especially given that transformPartitionBoundValue() does assign a
> collation to the values in those lists based on the parent's partition
> key specification.

But each column could have a different collation, no? I do not
think it's sensible to pick one of those at random and claim
that's the collation of the whole thing. So throwing an error
seems appropriate.

> exprType(): could be handled similarly

The same, in spades. Anybody who is asking for "the type"
of a relpartbound is misguided.

> queryjumble.c: JumbleExpr(): whose header comment says:

If somebody needs that, I wouldn't object to adding support there.
But right now it would just be dead code, so why bother?