Re: Misplaced modifier in Postgresql license

From: Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>
To: Breen Ouellette <the(dot)man(at)breeno(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Misplaced modifier in Postgresql license
Date: 2003-11-29 11:56:01
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

> "Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
> documentation for any purpose, WITHOUT FEE, and without a written
> agreement is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice
> and this paragraph and the following two paragraphs appear in all
> copies."

My personal interpretation isn't very ambiguous at all. If the license
were interpreted to require that you could not charge to provide someone
with a copy of postgres, that would imply that you aren't allowed to
have a written agreement with them either. That just doesn't make sense
to me.

I can see how a lawyer might tell someone to play it safe though. Also,
I suppose in any disagreement over the ambiguity of a text, the side
perceiving ambiguities is bound to win ;)

regards,
jeff davis