Re: pg_hda.conf

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Bo Lorentsen <bl(at)netgroup(dot)dk>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_hda.conf
Date: 2003-11-21 22:18:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 18:08, Bo Lorentsen wrote:
> Hi ...
>
> I have just converted (upgraded) to Oliver's postgresql 7.4 debian
> package (and, thanks for a nice package), and the installation went ok
> (execpt it did not migrate automiticly, as it usually do), but ..

Automatic update is now controlled by a debconf question; the default
answer is no.

> I can't log onto the database using different user names than the
> current unix user id.
>
> Fx. if I am user "www-data" I can't logon to database "wiki" as user
> "wiki", but this use to work !
>
> I know the magic is performed in the pg_hba.conf file, and I have been
> there adding this :
>
> local all all trust
> host all all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust

Please show all the uncommented lines. Remember that the *first* match
is what governs. If an earlier "ident sameuser" line has matched, your
later additions will have no effect.

> But I still get this "IDENT" error while loging onto the system, WHY ?
>
> It act like I had written "same user" and not "trust", but only while
> using 7.4. And yes I have restarted postmaster after fixing the config
> files :-)

If the old pg_hba.conf was different, the resulting behaviour would
probably be different. What changes were there between the old and the
new? (If you had "ident sameuser" in 7.3 (or earlier) you would never
have been able to switch identities -- this has not changed between
versions.)

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight, UK http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver