problems with leading zero's

From: Bryan Irvine <bryan(dot)irvine(at)kingcountyjournal(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: problems with leading zero's
Date: 2003-11-19 19:07:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm having problems with my SQL selecting numbers with preceding zero's
from a character field.

I'm creating the fields like this:
CREATE TABLE phonenumbers (
areacode character varying(3),
prefix character varying(3),
suffix character varying(4)
);

when I run a broad select based on areacode and prefix i get this
(numbers munged to protect the innocent)
select * from phonenumbers where areacode = 555 and prefix = 555;

areacode | prefix | suffix
----------+--------+--------
555 | 555 | 0044
555 | 555 | 0049
...etc

but when i try to do a more exact search for a number with a suffix that
starts with a zero, nothing comes back.

select * from phonenumbers where areacode = 865 and prefix = 379 and \
suffix = 0044;
areacode | prefix | suffix
(0 rows)

Ideas?