Re: Is there going to be a port to Solaris 9 x86 in the

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: sailesh(at)cs(dot)berkeley(dot)edu
Cc: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is there going to be a port to Solaris 9 x86 in the
Date: 2003-11-19 13:43:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 17:31, Sailesh Krishnamurthy wrote:
> Mike> How about extra credit for PITR?
>
> One step at a time :-)
>
> Actually a big problem is figuring out new pieces for the
> projects. Most of the items in the TODO list are way too much for a
> class project - we gave 'em 3 weeks to make the Hash GroupedAgg work
> for large numbers of unique values (by using a form of hybrid hashing).

Something like PITR could be interesting, as there is already a patch
that starts the work, the extra credit would be to take the existing
patch and actually make it work.

> Another thing I toyed with was having an implementation of a
> Tid-List-Fetch .. sorting a TID-list from an index and fetching the
> records of the relation off the sorted list for better IO
> performance. AFAICT something like this isn't present yet .. can pgsql
> do this already ?

While some form of bitmapped indexing would be cool, other ideas might
be to implement different buffer manager strategies. I was impressed by
how quickly Jan was able to implement ARC over LRU, but there are a host
of other strategies that could also be implemented.

I think there are other good projects in there, like allowing indexes
for searching nulls, or adding concurrency to GIST, or allowing non
btree indexes to handle unique's

Robert Treat