Re: ALTER TABLE modifications

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE modifications
Date: 2003-11-14 14:23:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Alvaro Herrera kirjutas R, 14.11.2003 kell 16:17:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 08:59:05AM -0500, Dave Cramer wrote:
>
> > I tried the current patch on a RC2 release, and I noticed one
> > undesirable side affect.
> >
> > Modifying a column moves it to the end. In high availability situations
> > this would not be desirable, I would imagine it would break lots of
> > code.
>
> This is expected. Doing otherwise would incur into a much bigger
> performance hit.

Not neccessarily, but it would make the patch much bigger ;)

IIRC there was discussion about splitting colum numbers into physical
and logical numbers at the time when DROP COLUMN was done.

> Anyway, IMHO no code should use SELECT * in any case, which is the only
> scenario where one would expect physical column order to matter, isn't
> it?

and this could also break when just changing the column type.

Hannu