Re: Stored Procedure/Return Rowset/Crystal

From: Jason Topaz <topaz(at)panix(dot)com>
To: Godshall Michael <Michael_Godshall(at)gmachs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stored Procedure/Return Rowset/Crystal
Date: 2003-11-12 11:07:30
Lists: pgsql-novice

Michael -

I too had horrible luck getting Crystal Reports to call PostgreSQL
functions when setting them up as a "stored procedure".

However, I had some success using the "Add Command" functionality in the
database explorer. This lets you input arbitrary SQL (including selects
from set-returning functions). You also retain the ability to
substitute any Crystal parameters into the query. It seems that after
doing one "sample" run, Crystal learns what columns are coming back from
the set-returning function. The command then becomes a pseudo-table,
appearing right next to your other tables, and allowing you to drag and
drop fields onto your report.

I've used the above technique extensively in liked subreports, so I can
get one call to the function per record in the master report.

Does that help at all?

--
Jason Topaz