Re: About the partial tarballs

From: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: About the partial tarballs
Date: 2003-11-11 19:57:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 14:29, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier writes:
>
> > > Do we have any data on how many people download the partial tarballs
> > > (-base, -opt, etc.)? I have a feeling that more people are confused by
> > > them than use them.
> >
> > on ftp.postgresql.org itself, since June 4th:
>
> Interesting. Note that in most cases people download the -base tarball
> less often than the other ones, at best just as often as the other ones.
> This seems to indicate that people appear to want everything and they are
> confused about what they need to download.
>
> > Note that, in the case of FreeBSD ports, they download only base and opt:
>
> They don't install the documentation??? How is that a good idea?

FreeBSD (Sean?) split PostgreSQL into several ports so you can pick only
the parts (or release) you want. There is a specific -docs port.

postgresql-client postgresql-jdbc postgresql-plruby
postgresql72
postgresql-contrib postgresql-libpq++ postgresql-pltcl
postgresql_autodoc
postgresql-devel postgresql-libpqxx postgresql-tcltk
postgresql-docs postgresql-odbc postgresql7