Re: Fixing AC_CHECK_DECLS to do the right thing with clang

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Fixing AC_CHECK_DECLS to do the right thing with clang
Date: 2018-11-18 22:02:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Seems like a good plan. The problem doesn't reproduce for me on debian
> (using any version of clang), so all I can report is that at patched
> build still works as it should.

Interesting. It's hardly surprising that the problem would occur only
on some platforms, since if <string.h> declares the function then the
problem isn't visible. But I'm surprised that some Debian boxes would
show it and some not. Still, a closer look at the buildfarm shows both
clang-on-Debian members with the warning (eg gull) and clang-on-Debian
members without (eg yours).