Re: postgres installed via rpms -can't run postmaster or

To: "Eric M(dot) Wulff" <ewulff(at)footbag(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres installed via rpms -can't run postmaster or
Date: 2003-10-18 21:30:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 22:15, Eric M. Wulff wrote:
> This is very helpful. My next problem is setting up a db. createdb fails...
>
> "psql: FATAL: user "blah" does not exist
> createdb: database creation failed"
>
> The user is either myself or root. Of course, doesn't like root. How
> do I get psql to recognize me as a user.

As root become the user postgres by giving:
su - postgres
Now create a postgres user named after your normal OS user account (blah
I guess?):
createuser blah
(createuser is a postgres command). If you answer yes to the question
whether the new user should be able to create DBs your done. Now as OS
user blah you can do a createdb.

Bye, Chris.