From: aehansen(at)paycheckadv(dot)com
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2003-10-15 19:46:43
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I found out that the ResultSetMetaData isNullable() method is not
supported by the postgres jdbc driver.

I couldn't find a work around, until I started messing with phpPgAdmin.
Apparently the php driver has no problems at all figuring out which columns are
nullable.

Currently, I've been copy, pasting and vim massaging phpPgAdmin pages
into a properties file that tracks which fields are nullable. This
is... sub-optimal.

My question is this. If the call is available in the php driver, why isn't it
available in the jdbc driver? The only relevant post I could find on
postgresql.org (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2003-05/msg00007.php)
says that it won't be available until after 7.4 due to an inflexibility in the
FB/BE protocol. Why doesn't the php driver suffer from the same problems?
Finally, and most importantly (to me that is), is there a better work-around for
my problem? Is it possible to use a runtime.exec call to the php binary in some
weird, unportable, masochistic way? I'd be willing to try anything at this point.

Thanks for your time,

Andrew