Re: Need help with SGML again

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Need help with SGML again
Date: 2003-10-15 13:51:45
Lists: pgsql-docs

> > Any thoughts on replacing Docbook with something else, someday?
>
> I don't see anything better arising.

Neither do I, but our particular use of docbook is far from the easiest
to work with.

There are many tools which can give a nicer working environment for
editing docbook based documents, but I've yet to find one which fits in
with the PostgreSQL configuration.

Perhaps you could suggest a toolset which can work with our docs and
hide the syntax from the user and give a 1st approximation of what the
final document would look like (without installing tons of tools -- many
of which are difficult to find in non-unix environments). This would be
much appreciated.

Recently, I've been using Openoffice for a first cut and Conglomerate to
clean the document up. Of course, that uses a strict XML version and I
normally prefer xincludes to entity based includes.

With xincludes, each document is valid individually, as such can be
rendered individually. You don't need to process the full book to see
what the 2 new paragraphs in section N.n will look like. Throw an XML
transform at the top for Internet Explorer and you don't need any tools
outside the text editor, webbrowser, and diff.