Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add support for INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING/UPDATE.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add support for INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING/UPDATE.
Date: 2015-05-21 01:22:08
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> You realize there's other instances of this in the same damn function?

Not to mention that several places in libpq/fe-exec.c should be
taught about this new tag. And who-knows-what in other client-side
libraries. I am not really sure that it was a good idea to invent
this command tag. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was a *bad* idea ---
what will happen if we ever create a statement actually named UPSERT?

I think we should fix this by ripping out the variant tag, not trying
to propagate it everywhere it would need to go. Cute ideas are not
the same as good ideas.