Re: When does VACUUM FULL not clean out all deleted data?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: James Cloos <cloos(at)jhcloos(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: When does VACUUM FULL not clean out all deleted data?
Date: 2008-01-04 06:03:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

James Cloos <cloos(at)jhcloos(dot)com> writes:
> Right after the restore the db took up less than ten percent as much
> space as the backup. (For the backup I stopped pg and used rsync on
> the /var/lib/postgresql/data directory.)

> Why was the db using that extra five plus gigs?

Smells like a hadn't-been-vacuuming-often-enough problem.

Please note that vacuum-full-once-in-a-long-while is *not* a substitute
for frequent-plain-vacuum, because VACUUM FULL isn't good at reducing
index space usage --- in fact it usually makes it worse. Your numbers
didn't separate table vs index bloat, but I'm suspicious that a lot of
your problem was the latter.