Re: Row Lock

From: Alessandro Polverini <polverini(at)nibbles(dot)it>
To: Dave Tenny <jeffrey(dot)tenny(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Row Lock
Date: 2003-10-07 09:04:41
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 15:34, Dave Tenny wrote:
> -- begin transaction
> SELECT rowstuff FROM table WHERE record-of-interest = somekey FOR
> UPDATE
> ... get new value from the user
> UPDATE rowstuff WHERE record-of-interest = somekey
> COMMIT
>
> -----------------------
>
> However, it is considered exceedly poor application design to have any
> interactive
> dialogs in the midst of a transaction. (Really bad, don't do it!
> You'll block potentially all users
> for potentially unlimited amounts of time).
>
> Suggest you get the row value, remember it, present to the user for
> update OUTSIDE a transaction,
> then start a transaction to update when you have the new value. If
> the row value has changed to something incompatible
> with the user's value, abort and complain, otherwise do the update.

Hello,
I also have to do a similar program and I ended up implementing this
exact scheme.
But I had to use hashes of the record to check if it was changed because
it seems like the proper function, expressely designed for that is not
implementend: ResultSet.rowUpdated().

Do you know if there are plans of supporting it?

It would be a great boost for JDBC applications.

Thanks,
Alex